If you are considering a job in the medical field and want to take on the most challenging role that you can find, then you will want to consider becoming a neurosurgeon. A neurosurgeon is a surgeon who performs surgery on the brain, spinal cord and associated nerves.This is not an easy career path nor is it for everyone. In fact, it is very difficult to become a surgeon in the first place and even more difficult to become a neurosurgeon. If you are considering this challenging yet rewarding career, then you must start early. Listed here are the steps to take in order to become a neurosurgeon:
- Earn your Bachelor’s Degree. You will need to make sure that you concentrate on very advanced sciences and biological sciences in order to meet the requirements of any type of medical school. You will need to take all of the pre-med courses as well.
- Once you have your Bachelor’s Degree, then you will need to get into medical school. These are very hard schools to get into and will look at many things besides your GPA when you are trying to get into one. This is why it is so important to start early when aspiring to become a surgeon. You will need to attend a four year medical school program. In order to become a surgeon and a neurosurgeon, then you will need to further tailor your studies with more comprehensive and advanced classes during this time.
- Pass the medical licensing exam. You will then need to take the medical licensing exam in order to become licensed as a medical professional. This will allow you to start your residency program. You cannot start your program unless you have passed this exam.
- Complete both an internship and a residency program. In order to become a neurosurgeon, you will need to complete a one year hospital internship that is followed by a residency program that can last anywhere from six to eight years in order to work as a neurosurgeon and complete surgeries such as brain and spine surgery.
- Once you have completed your residency program, then you will need to become state licensed and board certified.
- Continue your education. Of course, you won’t want to stop your education as soon as you start working. There are constant changes in the field of neurology and technologies that come out that will only benefit you and your patients as a neurosurgeon. You will want to be sure that you continue to learn new procedures and technologies that are related to your field.
As you can see, the process for becoming a neurosurgeon is extensive and very hard. However, if this is your dream and you are able to stay calm under extreme amounts of pressure (with a steady hand!) then you will want to start this process in order to fulfill your dreams.
There are many different neurosurgeons that you can contact in order to get more information about this profession. You can also visit the website of the experts over at Boulder Neurosurgical and Spine Associates to get more information about their surgeon’s backgrounds and education.